Symmetry DevOps ™ by Net3, powered by PvDC Cloud
The Transition for DevOps from Asymmetrical to Symmetrical
āsəˈmetrək(ə)l/: having parts or aspects that are not equal or equivalent; unequal in some respect.
DevOps: (a portmanteau of “development” and “operations”) is a software development method that stresses communication, collaboration, integration, automation, and measurement of cooperation between software developers and other information-technology (IT) professionals.
The prevailing DevOps model is highly asymmetrical due to the usage of disparate networking, storage, machines and configurations. This results in development teams spending a disproportionate amount of time “coding for the exceptions” simply to enable applications to move from one disparate environment to the next. Asymmetrical environments throughout the DevOps chain cause increased costs and complexity resulting from “management of exceptions.”
Challenges facing today’s DevOps
In the past, application development, testing, and QA processes have been complex, expensive, and time-consuming operations. Enterprises focus on the resources required to support the production applications but often times lack the sophistication to emulate their production environments efficiently throughout the DevOps chain. DevOps becomes fractured when an enterprise does not have the capacity required to develop fenced networks, automate data refreshes, or handle the growing cost of testing against full data sets. Customers looking to enhance DevOps through developing in the cloud often realize shortcomings as most provider solutions are aimed at the individual vs. the team, thus not fully addressing the DevOps chain.
səˈmetrik(ə)l/: similarity or exact correspondence between different things
Symmetry DevOps ™ by PvDC introduces an alternative to the existing asymmetrical model. Instead of coding, building, testing, and deploying for the exceptions enterprises can now quickly and seamlessly clone or replicate entire environments with identical settings/configurations while maintaining logical separation for Dev/Test/etc. needs.
• Developer productivity is greatly enhanced by removing need to code for separate environments that are not production
• Testing and QA environments can exactly mimic Prod, increasing the reliability of application releases into Production
• Data and configuration can easily flow from environment to environment, maintaining quality and consistency in all environments throughout the process
• Easily automate the controlled flow of data/configurations from environment to environment
Symmetry DevOps ™ is specifically designed to complement and enhance existing SDLC (Software/System Development Lifecycle) practices where they exist, and provide a robust and scalable platform where nothing exists currently.
What Symmetry DevOps™ Provides
Symmetry DevOps ™ is deployed in hybrid cloud or pure cloud models. Each customer is provided multiple, custom defined, isolated environments with their full data set in each. By utilizing fenced networks and isolating each development phase, consistent naming schemes with identical IPs can be used for servers across all development, testing, QA, etc. phases.
The Benefits of using Symmetry DevOps™ include:
• Consistent build process resulting in a simplified approach and the reduced possibility for human error to take place
• Better control over environments (Operating Systems, Patch levels between development Phases, Compute, Networking)
• Sets the customers up to achieve Automation for rapid deployment and delta change between each deployment phase
• Reduced time for build deployment for all environments
• Increased code reliability in all environments due to reduction of “coding for exceptions”